Saturday, March 30, 2013

Iguassu Falls

My first glimpse.  Absolutely breathtaking.   I stand in awe of my Lord God- creator of the heavens and the earth!


For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Today all I could do was stand in awe. I have never in my life seen anything like it. We hiked for a short distance through the jungle and I caught my breath as I first saw the falls. Judah smiled at me and said “just wait.” We kept hiking and around each corner, through each break in the trees, there was a new waterfall.  A new moment to praise God for His awesome creation.  As we got closer to the main falls the roar of the water grew louder, until we were so close the mist was enough to drench us.   Someone please pinch me, am I seriously in Brazil taking in such a beautiful, powerful work of creation that God spoke into existence? I love nature and am so often in wonder of God's creation and the work of His hands... but I can't put this experience into words, I will let the pictures and God's word speak for me... I am awed to silence. 

But first I have to tell you about the butterflies, because the pictures of them didn't turn out. As we sat at lunch I saw what looked like yellow, orange and red lights dancing in the sun off in the distance. I got up and walked over to the edge of the deck and saw them- hundreds of beautiful butterflies fluttering in a circular pattern like a whirlwind a short distance through the trees. Amazing. Again I stood in awe. Then a waiter came over and pointed to the ground- what I had thought were leaves were hundreds more butterflies on the ground just below the deck in front of me. I was amazed. Then he threw a rock off the deck and before my eyes they all took flight. It was beautiful.

This day was a gift from God, displaying the work of His hands in nature. I am in awe.   


The pictures of the butterflies dancing sadly didn't turn out.  
This was them on the ground before they all took flight. 




I can hardly believe we are here!


The little Coatis (raccoon like little animals) are friendly and everywhere looking for a handout. 

I thought Joshua would like this lizard. 

The Coatis are so close I want to pet one but I heard the word rabies on the bus ride so I think I'll just admire their cuteness outside of biting range.

 One of the "New Seven Wonders of Nature" – Iguassu Falls, Foz, Brazil


"Who among the gods is like you, O LORD? Who is like you-- majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?" Exodus 20:11


"Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen." Psalm 72:19


"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand." Job 38:4

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

"Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2

"How awesome is the LORD Most High, the great King over all the earth!"  Psalm 47:2

Let them praise your great and awesome name-- he is holy." Psalm 99:3



"Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth." Psalm 96:9

"O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens." Psalm 8:1

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth." Genesis 9:13

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:16

"Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name." 1 Chronicles 29:13


Thank-you Judah and Mary for an incredible day!


No comments:

Post a Comment